Commons:WikiProject Permission requests
Files tagged with Template:No permission since
We have E-mail receiving volunteers at COM:OTRS but do we have E-mail writing volunteers ?
Writing E-mails is not something I enjoy doing, so I would be glad if someone could send an E-mail to artist user:Maccallum and explain what he can do to increase the probability that his file is kept. The best would be to confirm that the picture was taken at the Southampton bargate or to provide a different photo from the Bargate exhibition, so that the picture would be in scope as a piece of information about the Bargate, leaving open the question about the in-scope-ness of an artwork from an artist who has no Wikipedia article yet. A confirmation of the exact title of the artwork ("Brick s" ?) would not be bad either. Or provide a picture for en:Artparks Sculpture Park where an artist with the same name is mentioned. Teofilo (talk) 19:03, 17 June 2010 (UTC)
- Not done Unfortunately, Maccallum (talk · contribs) does not have Special:EmailUser enabled, so an email cannot be sent. Xe also has no global contribs.  Mikemoral♪♫ 04:07, 13 July 2010 (UTC)
Pending permission requests
I have been attempting to update the Human Rights Foundation's logo (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Rights_Foundation) on their wikipedia page to the following image. http://humanrightsfoundation.org/uploads/HRF_Logo_-_Flame_only_%28gray%29.jpg. I have an email from the HRF stating the following:
On May 13, 2014 at 8:32:04 AM, S.E. Parker (email@example.com) wrote:
Thank you for your call yesterday. You have the Human Rights Foundation's permission to use the new logo to update the Wikipedia entry about our organization.
Sarah Parker _______________ S.E. Parker Senior Program Director, Human Rights Foundation firstname.lastname@example.org +1 212 246 8486 Empire State Building, #4515 New York, NY 10118 http://www.humanrightsfoundation.org
Is this sufficient permission to change the photo, and, if so, how do I go about properly updating the photo? I apologize if this is the wrong platform to ask this question - I am having trouble comprehending the rules and regulations for uploading photos to wikipedia, but would really appreciate some help!Comatmebro (talk) 22:47, 13 May 2014 (UTC)
Russian Video Game Rating
am i allowed to upload this? https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1yArWKteq0ycDgwNWFYdEtsX2M/edit
Messier 87 Radio Lobes Image
- This image of galaxy M87 is important because currently wiki article has only textual description of the radio lobes and readers will benefit from the presence of an image, given that M87 is a radio galaxy and so radio lobe thing is an important topic. Also, no other image is available, all authors reuse this image.
- I contacted the original author (Dr. Frazer Owen, Email: email@example.com) and he replied that it can be used as it is not copyrighted.
Major photo request petition
There is a major petition on Russian Wikipedia (ru:Википедия:Петиция к ТАСС и РИА Новости) requesting some very much needed photos to be under free licences. I have so far been unable to contact RIA Novosti and TASS (phone doesn't work, emails and tweets have been unanswered) but they have donated us images in the past. I would be much appreciated if somebody could help get the word to RIAN and TASS and (and mil.ru, since TASS and RIAN often give them freely licenced images). There is currently a huge shortage of freely licenced Soviet era photos, and I hope OTRS can help with this.--PlanespotterA320 (talk) 00:51, 17 September 2019 (UTC)
Photo of Congressman Carter Manasco
A Photo of Carter Manasco (January 3, 1902 – February 5, 1992) would be useful. Particularly in filling out this list at US House Committee on Oversight and Reform#Chair .
One image is directly found in these places:
and are found from:
The following page lists three email addresses and a phone number for usage requests 
Just for completeness sake, there are also two group photos with Representative Carter Manasco (D-AL) in the Truman Library:
- https://www.trumanlibrary.gov/photograph-records/58-337 His face, in the upper right most corner, is classic "Are you taking the picture now?"
Copyright, Restrictions, and Permissions Notice
· Generally, materials produced by Federal agencies are in the public domain and may be reproduced without permission. However, not all materials appearing on this Web site are in the public domain. Some materials have been donated or obtained from individuals or organizations and may be subject to restrictions on use.
· You may consult our reference staff for details on specific items. We are aware of donor restrictions applicable to our collections, but we can not confirm copyright status for any item. We recommend that you contact the United States Copyright Office at The Library of Congress to search currently copyrighted materials.
English Translation of the 1984 German excavation report: Hauser in Pompeji: Casa del Principe di Napoli Volume 1
I requested permission from the editor of this text Professor Volker Michael Strocka to translate the text and make the resulting English translation freely available on the web. Professor Strocka granted permission in an email to me dated February 5, 2020. I also contacted the original publisher, the German Archaeological Institute, to be sure they did not claim any kind of copyright and they confirmed to me in an email dated 2/4/2020 that sole copyright was held by the editor Volker Michael Strocka. Meanwhile, one of Italian Wikipedia's directors asked me if I could save the translation in epub format and upload it to Wikisource. Are there any other permissions needed? Professor Strocka's email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org. I can forward copies of the permissions emails I received to whichever email address you wish. I have been a contributor to Wikipedia and Wikimedia commons since 2007, but I have never submitted anything to Wikisource before. Mharrsch (talk) 17:40, 24 April 2020 (UTC)
Qur'an recited by Maher Al-Mueaqly
I wish to add the recited Qur'an to Commons. I think this would be a very relevant step to legitimize the quality of this encyclopedia, especially on issues related to the Islamic world. I've been waiting for Commons' permission for a while to upload the 114 surahs of the Qur'an recited by Imam Maher Al-Mueaqly. I have already created the corresponding category, and I am aware that Al-Mueaqly is in favor of this proposal because he has already allowed other files of his authorship to be uploaded to Commons (like this one) and to other archive repositories. My intention is not to upload neither 1 nor 2, but the 114 surahs ('chapters') that make up the Qur'an.
- A hyperlink to the work: here and here. In a quick search in Google you will see that there are many more sources.
- The name of the author, along with his contact information (email): Imam Maher Al-Mueaqly. E-mail: email@example.com (according to his website). You could also reach him through his Facebook and Twitter, although the activity in both ceased in 2017
- Why you think that the work is exceptional: The Qur'an is one of the books that have marked the history of humanity. It is not understandable as we still do not have a well-ordered category in Commons with all its chapters.
- Why you think that the author might relicense it: He have already allowed other files of this type to be uploaded to Commons. It is even possible that the license is already either CC or Copyleft, since it appears on many websites as downloadable and editable (I could not find any site that specifically indicated the license, but I know that he does not benefit financially from it, since it is his religious vocation.)
- Your signature: --El Mono Español (talk) 19:59, 22 February 2021 (UTC)
If you need my help, anything, please contact me. Thanks for your attention.
Requesting an image for a photog's article
For Loudes Grobet I request help in obtaining permission from the copyright holder (Lourdes Grobet) to use one of her "lucha libre" photographs to illustrate her article. She can be reached via her website here. If anyone knows how to do that, and can please do it? Thank you!!! --Soydeaguadilla (talk) 20:06, 15 May 2020 (UTC)
- I've sent them an email request permission to use their photos in my best Spanish. ––FormalDude (talk) 05:16, 12 October 2021 (UTC)
Permission for a Photograph
Hallo, ich bitte um Erlaubnis zur Veröffentlichung des Fotos "Siegbert Kardach" in seinem Artikel Siegbert Kardach, an dem ich auch mitgearbeitet habe. Die Erlaubnis von Siegbert Kardach und des Fotografen liegt vor. Mit Dank und Gruß Wikswat Wikswat (talk) 16:32, 6 September 2020 (UTC)
Laura Secord Chocolates logo
- Link: en:File:Laurasecord brand logo.svg
- Copyright holder: Laura Secord Chocolates
- Why it is exceptional: A freely licensed version logo would be nice.
- Why the author might relicense it: A user claiming to be a company representative had previously submitted it to Commons.
- Status: Not done: An attempt was made to contact the company to confirm whether the logo is released under a free license, but no such confirmation was received.
God of Thunder screenshot
- Link: en:File:God of Thunder videogame battle.jpg
- Copyright holder: Unclear, presumed to be Gary Sirois
- Why it is exceptional: A freely licensed screenshot of the game would be nice.
- Why the author might relicense it: The game's source code and audio were already released into the public domain.
- Status: Not done: Ron Davis, the game's creator, stated that it is unclear as to who owns the rights to the graphics as there is no record of a work for hire contract from the publisher. Attempts to reach the copyright holder have so far been unsuccessful.
A Boy and His Atom still
- Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ibm_research_zurich/8675821573
- Copyright holder: IBM Research
- Why it is exceptional: It is an incredible engineering feat.
- Why the author might relicense it: IBM Research has previously released other images under a free license.
- Status: Done: Image has been released under a CC-BY-SA license.
Photograph of original Gregson and Monk Engineers building
- Link: https://flickr.com/photos/rpsmithbarney/6012427170 (on English Wikipedia as en:File:Gregson and Monk Engineers Salter Road Preston.jpg)
- Copyright holder: Beth Hayes, Preston Historical Society
- Why it is exceptional: It is the only known photograph of the building before it was demolished.
- Why the author might relicense it: The Preston Historical Society has used images from Commons and may be willing to give back to the project.
- Status: Not done: A request was made to the copyright holder to release the image under a free license, but no response was received.
Illustration of the 1608 Jamestown Church
- Link: http://historicjamestowne.org/archaeology/chancel-burials/1608-church (on English Wikipedia as en:File:Old and new churches at Jamestown.jpg)
- Copyright holder: Jamestown Rediscovery
- Why it is exceptional: It is a useful illustration.
- Why the author might relicense it: The image is unlikely to have commercial value.
- Status: Not done: The copyright holder did not respond to my e-mail.